Brief history of Technical University in Košice (TUKE)

The Technical University of Košice was founded in 1952, but its roots must be sought much deeper in the past. As early as 1657 the Universitas Cassoviensis was established in Košice, but technical education in Slovakia was only elevated to higher – education level in 1762. The origins of higher technical education in Košice reach back to 1937, when the M.R.Štefánik State Technical College was established in the city. Teaching was supposed to start in the academic year 1938/39, but the pre-war events following the Vienna Arbitration caused the college to be moved first to Prešov, then to Martin and finally to Bratislava, where it remained and later formed the basis for the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava.

The true birth of the Košice Technical College came on 8th July 1952, when the Czechoslovak Government issued Directive No.30/1952 Statutes setting up three faculties, namely the Faculties of Heavy Engineering, Mining and Metallurgy. These were joined in 1969 by the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and in 1978 by the Faculty of Civil Engineering.

Mission

TUKE will provide its environment with scientific and technological knowledge basis, innovation and workforce, in order to form beneficial and sustainable future and high quality of life. This will be achieved at TUKE by innovative research and excellent education in all scientific branches of respective University Faculties.

TUKE today

The number of students currently attending nine TUKE Faculties exceeds 16,000. Approximately 13,000 of them are full-time students, out of which there are 8,500 Bachelor students, 4,000 Master students and over 500 PhD students. Almost 900 teachers work here, and the same number of research and administrative staff. TUKE caters for a wide range of educational needs not only in the East-Slovak region, but throughout Slovakia and Central Europe, as in many specializations it is the only centre of education and research in this area. TUKE closely co-operates with other universities and with industrial organizations throughout the region and the Slovak Republic.